There are varieties of term that have been used for briefing alcoholism like alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. In the present scenario it is more often referred to as alcohol use disorder. Alcohol use disorder is when a person drinks so much of alcohol that his body eventually becomes dependent or totally addicted to the same that he cannot resist without it. In such a situation, alcohol becomes the most important thing in life.
The worst part about the disease that people with the disorder will continue to drink even when drinking causes negative consequences, like losing a job or destroying relationships with people they love. However knowing that alcohol causes so much negative effect in their life, they do not stop consuming the same and at the end it leads to many unwanted losses in life. Some people may drink alcohol to the point that it causes problems, but they’re not physically dependent on alcohol. This used to be referred to as alcohol abuse.
What is the Cause of Alcoholism
Still the cause of alcohol use disorder is unknown. It occurs when a person drinks so much of alcohol that changes in brain starts to occur. These changes lead into pleasurable feeling when a person drinks alcohol, and this makes him to drink more often, even if it causes harm. Eventually, the pleasurable feelings associated with alcohol use go away and the person with alcohol use disorder will engage in drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms. These withdrawal symptoms can be quite unpleasant and even dangerous. The disorder gradually develops over time and it is also known to run in families.
What Are the Risk Factors in Alcoholism?
Though the exact cause of alcohol use disorder is unknown, there are certain factors that may increase the risk of getting the disease. We are mentioning the risk factors in alcoholism below so that; it may become easy for you to understand the disease.
- If you are a male and are consuming more than 15 drinks a week then you are under the risk of getting this disorder.
- In case of females, the consumption of more than 12 drinks per week signifies the risk factor of alcoholism.
- If you are consuming more than 5 drinks per day at least once a week (binge drinking) then also it signifies alcoholism.
- A parent with alcohol use disorder is likely to transfer the disease to kid.
- If a person is suffering from mental health problem, such as depression, anxiety, or schizophrenia then also the risk of getting the disease is high.
Apart from this, you may also be at a greater risk for alcohol use disorder if you:
- Are a young adult experiencing peer pressure
- Have low self-esteem
- Experience a high level of stress
- Live in a family or culture where alcohol use is common and accepted
- Have a close relative with alcohol use disorder
What are the Symptoms of Alcoholism
Symptoms of alcohol use disorder are based on the behaviors and physical outcomes that occur as a result of alcohol addiction. For understanding the disease in a better way, it is necessary to know about the symptoms of the same. People with alcohol use disorder may engage in the following behaviors:
- Drinking alone
- Drinking more to feel the effects of alcohol (having a high tolerance)
- Becoming violent or angry when asked about their drinking habits
- Not eating or eating poorly
- Neglecting personal hygiene
- Missing work or school because of drinking
- Being unable to control alcohol intake
- Making excuses to drink
- Continuing to drink even when legal, social, or economic problems develop
- Giving up important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of alcohol use
Apart from these symptoms, people with alcohol use disorder may also experience the following physical symptoms:
- Craving for alcohol is the biggest sign
- Withdrawal symptoms when not drinking, including shaking, nausea, and vomiting
- Tremors (involuntary shaking) the morning after drinking
- Lapses in memory (blacking out) after a night of drinking
- Illnesses, such as alcoholic Ketoacidosis (includes dehydration-type symptoms) or cirrhosis
Self-Analysis of the Disease
If you are finding any of the signs that are mentioned below with you then might be you are suffering from alcohol use disorder. Check out the points and measure your level of alcoholism.
- Do you need to drink more in order to feel the effects of alcohol?
- Do you feel guilty about drinking?
- Do you become irritable or violent when you’re drinking?
- Do you have problems at school or work because of drinking?
- Do you think it might be better if you cut back on your drinking?
The article would definitely aid you in understanding the disease better. If you or anyone who is close to you is suffering from the disease then it is required that the treatment for the same should be given on time. If you are looking for doctor for alcoholism disorder treatment in Delhi then you can contact Dr. Shashi Bhushan. He is an experienced doctor with adequate knowledge of the disease.