A Psychologist or Psychiatrist? Who Can Help?

Before we will come to the main topic whether you should consult to a psychologist or psychiatrist, I have a question for you all. Do you know the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist? If no, then here is the answer.

Difference between Psychologist and Psychiatrist

“Psychologist” and “Psychiatrist” have many things in common and they are often used interchangeably to describe anyone who provides therapy services, but in reality the two professions have many crucial differences. Not only in terms of treatments provided by the two but, the education and the practice of the two professions also differ from each other. The main difference of the two is the treatment provided by them.


Psychiatrists are the medical doctors, who prescribe you medications to get recover from any mental disorder. They have a deep understanding of metal health as well as physical health and also they know how they can affect each other. Psychiatrists help people who are suffering from mental health problems like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorder and alcoholism.


A psychologist is a therapist, who do not prescribe medication and instead of that they opts for treatment that consists of talking. He is the one who will talk to you to know what your problem is or what is the main cause of your mental illness. He will talk about your problems, worries or fear, etc. Many psychologists hold a doctorate degree but, still they are not medical doctors. They will provide psychotherapy, which may involve cognitive and behavioral interventions.

Psychiatrist or psychologist?

Well, it is your personal preference that whom you will choose for the treatment but, still there are many things that you should consider while deciding which care provider you will choose. But, it is said that consulting someone who can talk with you to reduce your problems can help you to improve your mental health and it will help you getting over of your tress, depression and anxiety. If you think you only need medication and there’s no need of therapy then, you can consult a psychiatrist, who has a deep knowledge and understanding of physical and mental health. And, if you are experiencing stress, depression or anxiety then, you should consult to a psychologist, who can talk to you to know the main cause of your problems.

When to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist?


Coping with loss of a loved one may be one of the hardest challenges that we face in our life. It is not easier for us to deal with. Everyone handles the loss in their own ways. Grieving openly or privately are common ways but, there are some who cannot handle the loss of any closed ones and they face many problems. At such situation either a psychiatrist or a psychologist can help you find the correct ways to cope with the death of your loved one.

Stress and Anxiety

Taking stress is normal but, taking too much stress is not normal. We face many situations in life which give us stress or anxiety – from job interviews to relationship issues can make us feel anxious. If left to fester then it can lead to a depression or many other problems. If you feel that you or any of your family member always remain too much stressed then, you can consult a psychologist, who can help you by finding the cause of your problem.


The common signs of depression are feeling of helplessness or hopelessness. Well, it is a common disorder where people lose interest in things, experience fatigue and often face trouble in controlling their emotions.


Fear of spider, heights are the common phobias but, there are some unusual fears that can create many problems in your life and it should be treated as soon as possible.

Family and Relationship Issues

Relationships whether family, friends, personal or work-related, have their ups and downs but, if your relationship issues have started giving you too much stress or creating problems then, you should consult to a best psychologist or psychiatrist  in Rohini.

Mental Disorder

If you are facing mental disorders like bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder.

All these disorders and mental health problems can be treated by both the psychiatrist and psychologist as well. You need to only choose the right help for you to manage any stress, anxiety and phobias.

This entry was posted in Psychiatry. Bookmark the permalink.