3 AM and you still are flipping pillows and can’t fall asleep? Alert! It’s insomnia that you are suffering from. Insomnia is basically the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep. It makes it hard for you to get the right amount of sleep and leaves you feeling tired every morning. Some of the symptoms of insomnia include difficulty concentrating, difficulty falling sleep, waking up too early, frequent wake-ups, daytime sleepiness and others. If you are facing all these symptoms then you are surely having the sleeping disorder i.e. insomnia.
Below discussed are some of the good tips that you can follow to beat insomnia and have a good night’s sleep.
Tips to Fight Insomnia
- Invest in comfortable pillows and mattress- To get a better sleep, you must first invest in good pillows and mattresses. Note that when you sleep on an uncomfortable mattress with pillow held high, your back and neck tends to start aching and in many cases, it also leads to cervical spondylitis. So, if you have been avoiding spending money all this while on a branded mattress and pillow set then here is the time to get it now. Half of your worries will disappear when you are lying on a comfortable mattress.
- Turn off screens- Before you are off to bed, turn off all the screens at least 30 minutes prior to it. Note that the psychiatrists always suggest that you must disconnect yourself from phones, laptop, tablet, television and all the other devices. The reason behind is that the light that comes from these screens can make mind wakeful by keeping it on the alert mode. Ultimately, it will make you harder to sleep.
- Dim the lights before going to bed- When you plan to sleep, just dim the lights of the room to induce sleep. If you did not know it till now then know it now that bright lights can affect your possibility of getting quality sleep and can hinder with your peaceful night. It is known that the light suppresses the melatonin secretion. Melatonin is a hormone that influence the circadian rhythms in human body and tells it the time to sleep and awake.
- Stick to a schedule- It is better to stick to a schedule. Even if you are not able to sleep on time at night, you must try to get up at the same time every day. This will train your body to sleep at a particular time and get up at the same. It will help your body in adjusting to a clock and will push it to follow it on regular basis.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine- If you are drunk then you may find it hard to have a sound sleep. According to the studies, it has been seen that smokers and drunkards develop symptoms of insomnia. The reason behind this would be that their bodies go into withdrawal mode at night when they are not smoking or drinking. So, it is better that not just before the bed but you should avoid or at least lessen the consumption of alcohol and cigarettes in your daily life. If you are an addict to alcohol or smoking then here is the high time. You need to make healthy alterations to your routine.
- Avoid long siestas- Siestas are naps that you take in the daytime. They are usually of 20 minutes but if you will extend it then you are likely to disturb your sleeping pattern at night. Since you will have the share of your night’s sleep in the day, you will find it hard to sleep on time at night. Thus, it is important to take the nap in the right way. Note that a good power nap can boost your creativity and can also improve your memory. Just remember not extend it to more than 20 minutes, in order to not disturb your slumber cycles.
- Try relaxation techniques- If you are still find it hard to sleep, you can always try relaxation techniques. Before you are off to bed, you can listen to some light music and can even do meditation. You can sit with your eyes closed with all ears to the music and just try to calm your mind. Trying this for a few days will train your body in that way only and you are likely to overcome the sleep disorder.
When nothing seems to work and hardly anything feels alright, it’s time to visit a good psychiatrist in Rohini. A psychiatrist would be the best person to guide you with the sleeping tips and adopt other treatment methods if your disorder has worsened. So, you must pay heed to the above discussed quick tips to have a sound sleep or visit a psychiatrist to get the disorder treated in the minimum possible time.